Saturday, May 3, 2008

Horse Racing, a rant

Horse racing is big business. Millions of dollars at stake, not just depending on who wins the races, but who sires who, and who foals who might win big races one day. It sickens me.


Because it's all about the people, not about the horses. Now, I do not doubt that the trainers and jockeys and grooms and owners CARE about their horses, I'm quite sure they do. These horses are pampered and very well cared for, after all, they are worth millions.

Today, as the Kentucky Derby ended, the horse who came in second collapsed right after the race. She was a filly (girl horse, unusual in the Derby). She broke both her front ankles. I saw her lying on the track, and I just knew she was done. Heartbreaking.

And Barbaro--- don't get me started on Barbaro. I cried and cried when they finally decided to end his suffering. And he had the very very best of care - the best vets, the best medicine.
I'm just going to say this once:

Horses are not made for this human sport. It is cruel.

Yes, I know it's been going on since the days of the Romans. That does not make it right.

Go ahead, disagree with me. I'd like to hear other points of views.

So after I got done crying for Eight Belles, I took apples out to my horses. I told them about the sadness. They loved their apples.






9 comments:

Leah said...

I heard about that too.....

So so sad.....

Glassgardenswhatnot said...

It is so sad and disgusting that so many humans see horse racing and dog fighting as entertainment. It upset me to see the people in the stands celebrating, while Eight Belles lay on the track, and was euthanized right there.

Anja said...

I totally agree. I only went to one horse race, reluctantly, becaues friends wanted to go. One of the horses fell and broke a leg and was killed right there, I will NEVER go back. It is cruel and inhumane. Animals have a right to live and not be abused for the "amusement" of people... don't even get me started on this topic!

Waterrose said...

Yes, very sad. I'm glad I wasn't watching.

Homeofhearts said...

I agree on all counts. I was fortunate enough to have rescued one horse after many torturous years of racing then school horsing. His withers were so high you couldn't place a saddle on him without pain from so many years of ill fitting saddles plopped on him several times a day and he came with a club foot and a fallen coffin bone! He was still being ridden up until the day he was rescued. After a few years of treatment naturally he was sound again and his personality began to show through so many years of being shut down emotionally. It was beautiful to see this funny jokester develop from with in him.
Thank you for blogging about your experience.

TheSingingBird said...

i agree with you 100 percent!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, such a pretty horse. I agree with you. Horses weren't meant to be raced with such force. We use our horses as work horses (pulling wagons and plowing the field) but they are Percheron and have a lot more weight!

Mare said...

I agree with you. Whenever i complain in front of a horse race enthusiast, they say the horses LOVE to run. Ok, i say, let them run. Throw away the whips and stop kicking and urging them forward and just let them run... idiots... It makes my stomach turn to think that while that poor horse lay there suffering, some people were celebrating as if nothing tragic happened. It's all about the money...

mosey handmade said...

woolies,
thanks for the post. you expressed these sorrows beautifully.
poor eight belles.
xo